Friday 28 June 2013

I Cannot Shave

If there is one thing that I am not proud of, it is my complete and total inability to shave. It haunts me like Casper the friendly ghost would haunt me if I had been slightly mean to him.

I only started shaving when I was about 16 as I had little to no facial hair. I would have been shaving plain skin which would probably have led to a lot of bloody skin.

One day my mum came home and handed me an electric razor and then I got rid of the tiny bit of hair growing above my lip. It was the most pointless shave of all time.

Gradually, and very slowly, hair began to grow on my face. I was becoming a man.

By the time I got to university I began to wet shave with a manual razor. In an attempt to actually get some proper stubble going I shaved whenever some hair appeared on my face but, if anything, this just succeeded in making me look younger as I would always be clean shaven.

Three years later and I only have to shave once a week. In that time a bit of stubble grows and I’ve grown to accept it but without it going too far.

As I have had such little practice with a razor, I’m not very good at shaving. I can never get smooth skin around my chin, it just feels downright weird shaving near the Adam’s apple and I always seem to accidentally get a few cuts.

I have tried most things to try and get better from shaving before a shower to after a hot shower to using different shaving gels and foams to shaving at various times in the day.

Nothing seems to work so I guess that I just have to admit, I am not very good at shaving.

Twitter: @Alex_Harris1991
E-Mail: alexgharris@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment