Saturday 20 July 2013

The £800 Marks and Spencer Suit

Marks and Spencer has caused quite a stir with its latest range, with one piece particularly causing much controversy.

The Daily Mail's 'fashion critic' Liz Jones has written a fairly scathing piece in today's paper questioning the decision to charge £800 for a suit - well above their usual pricing range.

Jones' piece followed the launch of M&S' new 'Best of British Collection' for Autumn/Winter modelled by Oliver Cheshire aka Mr Pixie Lott.

M&S say the collection 'combines our rich heritage with modern styling to create an edit of timeless pieces with an emphasis on true British craftsmanship and quality.'

The collection appears classic, timeless and stylish and Cheshire described the range as 'massively on trend and very wearable' on his blog, I Wear The Trousers. 

The £800 suit sounds the business. Each one is made by Cheshire Bespoke and the jacket contains real Harris tweed. It sounds great value for its price and M&S defended the price by saying that it's far cheaper than an equivalent on Savile Row. 

Jones rations that people with that level of disposable income won't necessarily go to M&S to buy the £800 suit and would instead choose a more upmarket label. 

I never thought I would agree with Liz Jones, but I think she has a point. There are two areas where I think she has missed the point though. 

First, she seems to have overlooked the rest of the collection which seems classy, looks to be high quality and will probably be far kinder to the hit your wallet will take. 

AOL point out that the £800 suit will only be a limited run available in four styles in just five prime locations including Kensington. 

The new range looks fantastic and I would definitely buy some pieces if I could afford them. 

As for the £800 suit? I would be wary but if it fitted well and looked great then I would consider it. If only I had the money, of course...

Would you pay £800 for an M&S suit? Leave me a comment and don’t forget to follow my links below for the latest updates. 


Follow me on Twitter @Alex_Harris1991

No comments:

Post a Comment